Monday, April 25, 2011

Florida for Spring Break!

For Nathan's Spring Break, I took a week off of work and drove the 10+ hours to Tampa to see Jason's family. I was told I was crazy to drive the whole way with 2 kids alone. And I think I would have to agree. I am nuts! Snacks and toys and drinks and blankies.... oh my!

Luckily the drive down (starting at 2:30am!) went rather smoothly with my sleeping angels and my library-borrowed audio book. We arrived safely at 2:45 pm and were warmly welcomed by "PapPap" and Grandma Sue, who generously watched the boys while I took a much-needed nap!

Jason arrived the next day and we had a great time swimming and enjoying the super-hot weather of the sunshine state. I wish we could have spent more time together... maybe next weekend!


 Nathan had lots of homework to do over the break, and actually managed to get most of it done before the trip -- but the one thing he had to do was take "Flat Stanley" on his vacation and then write a story about his adventures. Flat Stanley is pictured above with artist and adventure-sherpa Nathan Wier.

Here is Nathan and Flat Stanley visiting Grandma Kathy and Grandpa.

 Here is Flat Stanley and Nathan at PapPaps and Grandma Sue's house.
 Here is Nathan watching TV with Flat Stanley -- Nathan had a bad stomach bug the whole trip and was resting up here....
 Flat Stanley walking the treadmill...
 Flat Stanley meets the Easter Bunny.
 Flat Stanley goes for a ride on a golf cart!
 Flat Stanley hangs on a park bench near PapPap & Grandma Sue's.
 F.S. climbing a tree...
 Flat Stanley doing laundry.
 F.S. and Nathan throwing horseshoes.
...and Flat Stanley taking time to smell the flowers.

Nate and I had such a fun time doing this little project and made him feel a little better while he was sick on vacation - the poor guy hardly complained, but I knew he was not doing well, and hardly ate. Anyway, Nathan also got to go to a movie with Uncle TJ while he was in Florida and had a great time! TJ is great with the kids and Nate adores him (it may have something to do with the fact that he spoils him... not sure!)

Morgan was a typical just-2-year-old during the trip and I am glad he is so cute--it should keep him out of too much trouble. He was into everything and generally off-schedule, but he too enjoyed lots of swimming and plenty of walks around the block to tire him out and get him out of the house, and most of  all much-needed time with his grandparents.

On Sunday the Easter Bunny got the message about the trip and left plenty (plenty!) of candy and toys for the kids. It was wonderful to see them so joyful and delighted with the eggs and baskets.

Jason headed back on Sunday around 4 and I packed the kids up a little bit later after a lovely neighborhood Easter dinner. We again drove through the night and had no issues. That is at least 'til we got home and Morgan decided that was the time to wake up... but we had a talk and I bribed him with a big cup of milk and cuddling in mommy's bed. That lasted, (thank goodness) until 9 or so when I was able to drag myself out of bed and help Nate finish his Flat Stanley story.

Nate went to school late and Morgan and I enjoyed a nice day on the patio and park, and it would have been a perfect day had Nathan not had a bad spill on his bike late in the day. But he managed not to break anything (thank goodness!) and just has a bruised ego and ribs and case of road rash. Minor really in the end, but a reminder that I have boys and it is almost summer and I better stock up on neosporin and band-aids.

So... my wonderful mom came over, talked me off the ledge, fed the kids and sent me out swimming with the ladies. It has been a rough couple days and certainly no vacation for me, but the boys needed to see their grandparents and it was overdue. Time passes too quickly, and all too soon my kids will be grown. I am so in love with them, and can't imagine life any differently. I do not want to regret not giving them the memories they deserve. So many kids aren't lucky enough to have close families. We are blessed to have both sets of grandparents in the kid's lives.

Tomorrow I get back to work, try to catch up and make some sense of schedules and clients and the house and the kids. Luckily, though, sleep will get to come first.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget